Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tennis


Okay, so I last posted in Comp Sci, then I met Lisa in E-wing and went to tennis. So, here goes: It was insanely hot from the minute we walked up. There was a dog there, some lady's dog. I met the coach, Cindy. Not Coach Cindy, just "Cindy." She is a pretty cool lady; she's very peppy and happy and very into tennis. We just kind of hung out and waited for everyone else to show up, then we got in a circle for Cindy to introduce everyone to our sub coach (Cindy is going to Fl? I think for 2 weeks, and so we need a sub). So everyone said their names and then we did something that almost made me want to just laugh at the absurdity of it all. Here's what we did: We all followed Cindy and ran around one tennis court (not the entire fenced in area- no. ONE court) ..3 times I think. And that was our warm up 'run.' It took like, less than a minute. It seemed much less, actually. I mean, a warm up run in XC is, well, like 7 minutes or something. It was just crazy. Then we did these weird drills. And then Cindy was teaching us 'Austrailian' or something. It's basically nifty hand signals that tell your partner what you're going to do (which side of the court you're going to cover, like, if you'll stay on that side or switch to the other side). Julie runs up in the middle of it. And then we 'beginners' work on lobs and overhands. Lobs are alright. Most of the time though, I was doing overhands, which I'm actually not very good at. Something cool happened, though. Elise hit the ball to me, and I hit it back with a tremendous amount of power. I was kind of perplexed, though, and looking around thinking, 'where'd it go?' But then I realized when everyone was laughing that the ball had actually gotten stuck in the racket! I thought it was amusing anyway... For the remainder of the time, we practiced serving and returning. At first, serving was horrible, but then I managed to actually do it. See, in PE freshman year, I think it was, I couldn't even manage to get it over the net most of the time. Well, I quickly grasped that, but I could not for the life of me get it in the diagonal square. I did, though, but then it was time to rotate and for the longest time I just returned (or attempted) balls that were served to me. Anyway, then it was time to clean up the balls for the varsity girls to play. That little black cage that picks up the balls is basically the coolest thing evah, I just want to throw that out there.

So, yes, I like tennis. And I'm glad I can do it, considering my parents weren't/ aren't exactly thrilled with my grades and whatnot. It's very stress-relieving.

And NOW I will stop stalling and do my English research and math(s).

No comments: