Friday, March 23, 2007

Rain again

So now part 2. (Of my day). Where was I? Oh yes—S.A. I walk in, and she says, “okay, I’m going to have you do a creative project.” I say, “chill,” and listen as she tells me what she wants me to do (something with the bulletin boards). I was about to do the tasks set before me, but then I remembered I needed to get the key from Regina in the front office to the display case (to take all our English projects out). I empty that out, lug the cumbersome projects back to her room, and then I start working on taking down all the bulletin board stuff. Oh yeah, this part is kind of crazy. So we’re talking as I start taking down papers, and then Mr. L comes in (even though he has a gov’t class then.. weird) and starts talking to Ms. B. about Canterbury tales stuff. I dunno.. it was just kind of a weird sight to behold for some reason. He left, and then we got to talking about the rest of the year (what we’d be doing and whatnot). We’re going to apparently quickly finish LotF, and then do Macbeth? Something like that. Ha, this is funny though: we were talking about the dearth of LotF books, and then she took off on this rant about public school funding. It was slightly amusing, yet also slightly frightening. Well, okay, it wasn’t actually scary… But, I mean seriously.. what she was saying was right on, too.

After that, the conversation tapers into something else, and then, as I finish up taking stuff off one board, she gets up and says, “I’m going to go get some coffee.. want some?” I look up, blink twice, and then say, “Well, yeah, sure.” She says, “Do you like cream?” Slightly fazed, I reply, “Um, yes please.” Without hesitation she says, “Sugar?” And I grin and say, “Oh yeah.” And she disappears. And as if that isn’t enough, she comes back in a while later with two identical coffee cups and says, “Oh, I couldn’t find any creamer, but hang on one sec, I’m going to go grab some.” I start to say, “Oh, no. It’s okay” but she’s gone before I can finish. I meander around the room; she’s gone a while. But then she comes back, and I say, “Thank you so much.” She smiles as she downs her own un-creamed coffee. Well, then I go to the IMC, cut some yellow paper for the board, and come back. After an eternity (and a little help from Ms. B.) I manage to get it to look decent. I then go back to the IMC to find some quotes to put on the board. Long story short, that takes the entire rest of the time, and also lunch.

I cut out most of the quote, but then had to leave because the bell rang. I was tempted to just stay there and not go to computer science, but I decided not to even though she was totally chill with it. Instead I moseyed on over to computer science, where we actually did work (hence the short blog post from then).

But get this: after the bell rang, I dashed out of the loft and into the pouring rain. And let me tell you, it was just about the greatest thing ever. The rain is so calming. I absolutely love the smell of cold, clean rain. It’s one of the best smells out there. So I grinned and walked leisurely through the rain, taking no heed that I was getting kind of soaked. I nonchalantly dropped into A-7, where Ms. B. still sat at her desk. She took me in for a moment, with my goofy smile, my cookie-monster shirt, and my complete soaked-ness, and laughed and said, “Hey, Sherri.” We talked for a bit about how completely wonderful the rain is as I got my tennis clothes from the cabinet. And with a “have a good weekend” from Ms. B., I trudged off into the rain.

Sopping wet and slightly delusional, I kind of just stood there by E-wing. I don’t know what compelled me to do this, but I walked under the overhang to get drenched. Grinning, quite cold, and hair plastered to my forehead, I simply just stared out at the parking lot. I stayed that way (for what I didn’t think was actually that long) but then gave a start as I saw Ms. B. in her little green jacket in her little blue car pulling out of the parking space. I didn’t want her to think me completely insane, so I ducked behind the building.. but I think she may have seen me anyway. Well, no matter. I don’t remember making a conscious decision to not go to tennis, but I kind of just instinctively flicked on my windshield wipers and drove home.

So yes. Today is just kind of a calm day. No wigging. No spazzing out. No rolling around on the floor like a freak and laughing. No real stress either...


I mean, I can think of lots of things today that certainly could have been potentially stressful… but somehow weren’t.

Sigh. I love curling up and reading (which is what I’m about to do)...I love creating simple cartoons in my simple sketchbook... I love coffee with cream and sugar... and I love everything about rain.

No comments: