Wednesday, January 24, 2007

shadows

I'm doing English right now; actually I just finished. I was revising/ adding to my memior. Today I asked Ms. B. for help. I walked up to her desk, knowing I needed help, and knowing I wanted her to read it. She took the folded and slightly crumpled piece of paper, and began to read. It was a weird sort of emotion I felt then; she was reading into my soul, my very being. She was slowly, quietly absorbing my Secret. And I felt oddly okay with it, glad, even. I don't know why. But after she read it, she looked at me with a new light, as if she were seeing me from a different angle. She spoke quietly, seriously, her voice (if this is even possible) even more gentle than usual. She went on and on about several different things. She told me I had, in essence, 3 memoirs compiled into one. She talked to me about my options, gave me suggestions. And she gave me a different assignment than everybody else; my assignment was just to concentrate on one of the memoir topics and go from there. She went on and on about therapeutic writing, while I just nodded, not sure if I could really trust myself to contribute to the conversation..

So. I did my assignment. Here’s a small excerpt for proof. I’m not sure what really prompted me to post this excerpt, but, well, here it is. My experience at the end of English made the rest of the day bearable (in other words, we got tests back in both Pre cal and Stats). Oh boy. But, yes, today was good for the sole reason that now she read it.


"Everything is hazy, mottled, shrouded by a cloud of confusion and helplessness. Shaking, I huddle in the tiny, dark room. Angry voices, scary voices, barrage the door to my little, safe cave. I quietly peek out of the one-inch crack in the door, trembling and very, very confused. I see vague shadows, two of them, moving around the dim room in fits of fury. Their voices intensify, both in volume and harshness. A door slams; the sound leaving eternal vibrations in my ears…"


Tomorrow will be good too, I know. Now to do bio.....


No comments: