Saturday, April 07, 2007

Well.... I'm back

So right now I'm listening to this crazy Polish pop my mom's friend burnt for her and scarfing down some frootloops (they are pretty much the greatest thing on earth right about now). I kind of broke my thumb (not really, no worries) while attempting to wrestle my bike out of my tiny Honda just now. And, let me tell you: not a very pleasant experience. But I managed to get it, somehow, though it took about a trillion years. Anyway, as a result of my throbbing thumb, my typing is slightly impaired, and I may not be able to have the patience to type very long, though I have TONS I could/ might relate. As you may have gathered from my last (very short) post, I am now home. In a nutshell, I was incarcerated in an RV with my family driving aimlessly through the wastelands and cities of Texas, occasionally stopping to look at colleges. I really do not feel like relating my trip, as I’m sure you the reader do not feel like reading it, but I will say I met some pretty interesting people. I met this midget dude at Texas Tech named Maroof who was a petroleum engineer with a thick Middle Eastern accent. In Austin at Concordia, I met this lady with a hairy mole under her bottom lip that totally looked like a goatee. Her forhead was dappled with these huge protruding bumps. They were kind of like zits, only huge and tumor-like. She was pretty nice. I also met tons of other people, like this nice Junior English major chick with long blond hair at Texas A&M, and this Sophomore Psychology major guy with shaggy brown hair at Texas Tech that offered me and my mom an umbrella. Oh, and I met this dude with crooked teeth at an RV park, and he had the cutest Siberian husky ever. Okay. Enough of my trip, really. So, I have actually thought a lot about it, and I suppose I will keep my blog. I thought A LOT about quitting this one, and starting a new one. This one really kind of bugs me. But I looked at it, and it’s really not as bad as I thought. It just seems pretty… egotistical. All of it. Look at the f-ing title, for Pete’s sake. So, while bouncing around in our good ol’ RV with nothing really to do but stare out the window at the barren and desolate landscape, I thumbed through the map, searching blindly for a word, a name, that I could use for a new title. I never actually came up with one that way, but I ended up thinking of one on my own, influenced heavily by someone I know. So, even now, I am quite tempted to throw in the towel, so to speak, and start anew. You know, get that anonymity I have so craved at times. But then I think… wait a minute. I don’t really actually want anonymity. I want to be read, to be known. I think what I fear most at times (and this has really surfaced again and again in my mind on this trip) is… well, being alone. Solitude. You know, you can be surrounded by people and still be completely isolated. It’s weird. I mean, I kind of felt that way, standing in the drizzling and dreary rain as I stood surrounded by cold, gray concrete as thousands of strangers shuffled by me with upturned collars. I felt alone. And I think that, well, this is one way for me to be, or at least feel, connected. So. My thumb is hurting and I really should go at least speak to my grandparents. Bottom line: I was gone; now I’m back; I thought about bailing on this pathetic excuse for a blog; I ended up deciding to stick with it. What the hey. It’s something.

No comments: