Sunday, April 08, 2007

Well, Easter is generally a time for families..

Families are weird. Just a fact. I don't think there's really a 'normal' family; there's always some weird thing about them. Then again, what defines family? I've lately been thinking a lot about this, on my trip and whatnot. Also, right now. See, I'm here at the computer munching chips and guacamole, listening to the Goo Goo Dolls (I haven't listened to them in an eternity), and freezing my legs off because I'm in my new, short, olive-green shorts from Old Navy. And my oma, opa, dad, mom, brother, and sister are all splayed on the floor and various pieces of furniture watching a really ridiculous movie: RV. Simply, RV. If you have not seen it, I advise keeping it that way. They think it's great humor, but it's really... not. Basically to put it bluntly, it sucks. It's pathetic. I attempted to do the whole 'good daughter, part-of-the-family' thing and watch it with them just now... but I gave up after, oh, 20 minutes. I've actually suffered through this movie many, many times. My poor poor little brother has been brainwashed into thinking it is a good movie. He actually enjoys it.. or thinks he does. Well, anyway, I just recently have been noting the whole family thing. Some families are extremely close. Some families look all alike. Family is a very interesting concept. What exactly is "family"? A group of people, a mother, father, and children? Or maybe it's just everyone living in the same household? Perhaps it is a huge over-arching umbrella that encompasses every blood relative? But really, is family just 'blood-related'? I would reply with an emphatic "No," for the simple reason that I have experienced oh so many counter examples. I won't go into details, but I will just say that I really believe that family is not simply blood related. It's somehow deeper. I really can't explain it... family is such a weird thing... And the whole family/friend thing. I mean, it's kind of like a venn diagram in some cases. Someone can be your family without being your friend... someone can be your friend without being actual family (well, duh, right?).. and someone can be a friend and family. Now, this third category is intriguing. As I think about it, I guess I would consider some people in this category... but it's interesting. Okay, so here's the deal. A friend is someone whom with you communicate/talk/relate to/chill with/etc. right? I certainly communicate with members of my family, some more than others. But I honestly don't know if I (okay, this is going to be tricky, phrasing this, but I'll try) would interact with these people if I didn't have to. And a real friend is someone who you chooose, well, mutually of course. Hm.....

Okay okay okay. Enough of this. I'm just digging myself deeper into stupid territory. On another note, spring break is basically over. In just a matter of hours, I will be yet again back in school. The way I have it stated here, it is neither a bad thing or a good thing. It is a simple fact. I suppose in a way, though, I want to go back. It's always weird coming back from a vacation, don't you think? I really dislike it. The whole catching up, what'd you do/see thing. It's really quite annoying. At any rate, it's over.

And was it good, useful, productive, relaxing, helpful? Hrm.. yes and no. I suppose, yes. Yes it was. I mean, I escaped the clutches of my math teacher for a little while, and I read 2 books. I finished The Lord of the Flies. It was interesting... I can't tell if I liked it or not. Certainly not as much as the other things we've read (like Dorian Grey, Animal Farm, even Paradise Lost..). It seemed like... a lot of nothing. I mean, I know there were events that took place, and that the book was of average length. It just kind of seemed like not much plot... kids on an island, with time they become savage and turn on each other. Yay. The other book I finished was Where the Heart Is. I liked it. Well, most of it. Some parts were definitely NOT necessary. At all. I don't even want to think about it. Oh yeah, I also got further in Milagro Beanfield War. I was hesitant at first, but decided to read it because a teacher recommended it (which is kind of surprising, actually. Her personality definitely does not fit the book.. ha ha), and discovered that I'm actually enjoying it. It's not one of those 'I cannot possibly bear to put this thing down' books. But it's not at all one of those books that I hate to pick up. Like, um, The Good Earth. Ha ha. Yuck.

Well, I'm kind of feeling guilty for not being with my grandparents who I don't get to see very often, so I'll do the whole family thing now.

1 comment:

Cisca said...

Nice blog! You sound like an interesting person! :)